Tuesday 19 January 2016

THE BUS VERSUS AN AUGER

THE AUGER PROBLEM
from Ivy House Tales.......1974


My tyre collection business had been running for a few months alongside my work as a salesman for Firestone Tyres. Following a few raised eyebrows and a long talk to Henry, my then boss, I eventually left Firestone, but now our new business needed a boost.
It was not yet paying sufficiently to live on and I had invested in a second-hand “split screen” Volkswagen transporter pick up that was not yet in use all day every day.

Our neighbours in New Bolingbroke, John H. Rundle were local agricultural engineers, well respected in the County and suppliers to farmers for miles around.

AUGERS
From time to time they used my newly inspired small transport service to back up their one delivery lorry.
On this memorable occasion I was using faithful old Volkswagen to
transport an agricultural auger.

For those that may not be aware of the vagaries of agricultural equipment, an auger is like a huge “archimedian” screw in a long tube.

They are used to move huge piles of grain from one place to another.
In fact if you stick one end into a “grain mountain” on the floor and place the top end over a lorry body it will fill the lorry in double quick time with only minimum shovelling necessary to keep the open end of the auger at the bottom, filled with grain.
The screw down the centre of the auger is the main working bit and normally powered by an electric motor mounted on one end and driving the screw with a belt and pulleys.

The lengths of auger tubes varied enormously; the width too come to that!
When they are particularly long, agricultural augers have supporting steel rods running the length of the outside of the tube. These rods prevent the tube buckling and bending the auger inside. Once in position and suitably secured; the internal screw revolves rapidly and spews grain out at a tremendous speed and pressure.

This one was long!   It had those steel rods, two of them, one on each side.
A very large electric motor was mounted on one end. I had been engaged to deliver it quickly, as a farmer client had suddenly decided he had nothing to move his shed full of corn and vehicles were actually enroute to make the collection!
Rundle's own lorry was away for the whole day.

If I remember correctly the auger over hung the truck by about eight feet at the front and eight feet at the back. In which case it must have been about 30 feet long.

The front end was pointing upwards and the bottom end complete with its motor, towards the ground.
The back had a huge flag attached and I was not going very far, just to the other side of Boston, about 20 miles.

My auger nearly didn’t make it to its destination.

THE JOURNEY

For mile after mile I watched to the front meticulously but there was never anything in my way.

Arriving at the town (Boston) I watched the buildings in all the streets to make sure the auger did not go through any windows or catch any lamp standards.

Just by the Odeon Cinema, I arrived at some traffic lights; as I was slowing gradually, eyes in all directions at once, someone hooted their horn.

My eyes were diverted for just a second or two and in that instant a double decker bus had decided to stop directly in front of my truck!

Rapid stamping on my brakes resulted in my truck dipping forwards and the two steel support rods of the auger ending poked through the back of the double deck bus just below the rotary sign that tells you where it is going!

I did manage to stop before the rods went in too far; that is into the seats!

As the truck rocked back on its suspension, the two rods reappeared and left two “staring eyes” dead centre in the bus body just a short distance below the rotary signboard.

The driver appeared and looked somewhat bewildered.
well I never did!” he exclaimed, ( his words were somewhat stronger and more colourful), “nothing like this has ever happened before.”

The auger did not seem to have sustained any damage and the bus driver was somewhat amused.

There were two beautifully symmetrical holes close to where his vehicle number was painted and nothing else to see.

The local bus depot was on route for both of us and we called in, complete with a bus loaded with amused passengers. Together we confront his supervisor.

Disbelief and baffled would possibly describe his reaction. I left my details and went on my way closely followed by the bus that decided to let me go ahead this time!

The fact that I did know the local bus supervisor personally was a coincidence. He and his good lady wife had been lodgers with my grandmother at 129 London Road (just opposite the local bus depot) for several months just after they had been married in the 1960's and Geoff was at that time a driver for the bus company.
I don’t think I ever heard anything else about this incident; perhaps it was too far fetched for even a bus company management to believe?

ends 892 wds
Ks copyright September 2009 revised 19.01.16

No comments:

Post a Comment