Wednesday 30 March 2016

MY QUESTION IS.............HOW MANY TIMES HAS MY DOOR BEEN OPENED?

MY QUESTION IS.............HOW MANY TIMES HAS MY DOOR BEEN OPENED?

I was first purchased from Curry's Store in Boston, England in March 1965. My owners were a young couple planning to get married in the month of May, but the boy had problems at his family home and decided to leave and start to live on his own in February of that year.

Through his work at the local newspaper, the boy had managed to find the couple a flat, (apartment for those of you not used to the English “lingo”) so somewhere for him to live was not a problem. The young couple decided to buy their future furniture straight away so the boy could live in the flat for the few months prior to the wedding......that is how I got there!

I have only moved a few times when the couple changed their home in England from time to time. But in 2008 I made an extra long journey and now live in the French countryside not far from Saumur, the historic centre of sparkling wine production in the valley of the river Loire.

I am still here in 2016......I had my big anniversary last year! My family still use me as their everyday main kitchen refrigerator......there was a usurper in my kitchen here in France when I first arrived but he was some modern 21st Century character and I soon wore him out after three years or so!

I still live with the same couple but they are not so young now.....just like me. When I came here to France all they had to do for me was change my electrical plug and switch me on. My inside light has not been working for the last 20 years or so but nobody seems to mind. The bottle tray at the bottom of the inside of my door has been cracked and split for several years and is now effectively bound up with that wonderful “gaffer” sticky tape!
Mind you I do get cleaned out and defrosted very regularly.

I have been thinking just lately how many times my door has been opened since I was a shiny brand - new fridge back in 1965. There must be some kind of formula for this kind of question.
Over the years, some clever “university graduate” must have used some ancient theorem from the ancient Greeks or similar very knowledgeable ancients?

My name is Philco by the way, I understand that I was made when my family was a subsidiary of the Ford Motor Company but in more recent years my family have probably changed their owners several more times. I do not really know where I came from originally before I arrived in that electrical retail shop in England.....so there we come to another question?

I understand that world wide communications have changed drastically since I was first constructed perhaps in 1964, so maybe somebody out there can provide me with a few answers please?

Thank you in anticipation......

an ancient fridge.

1 comment: